Jump to navigation Jump to search
Abderite (plural Abderites)
- An inhabitant or native of Abdera, in Thrace.
- 1814, G. Booth, chapter 4, in The Historical Library of Diodorus the Sicilian, volume 2, translation of original by Diodorus, page 27:
- To that end they entered the borders of the Abderites in another part of Thrace, and wasted and spoiled the country […]
- (‘the Abderite’) Democritus, the Laughing Philosopher.
Ancient belief was that "the people of Abdera are fools and madmen" (stulti et insani Abderitae).
- ^ the Latin and English phrases are quoted as they appear in Robert Burton's The Anatomy of Melancholy, volume 1 (2010)