Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: aepyornis
- A taxonomic genus within the family Aepyornithidae – elephant birds, large, extinct birds of Madagascar.
1919 June 6, WM. C. Bradbury, “Some notes on the egg of Aepyornis maximus”, in The Condor, volume 21, page 100:
- Calculations in displacement show the Aepyornis egg to be equivalent to each of the following number of eggs of modern species […]
1994, Gerald Durrell, The Aye-Aye and I, page 6:
- Although enormous, the Aepyornis was incapable of treating elephants in this cavalier fashion - even baby elephants - since, like the ostrich, it could not fly.
2014, Nicolae Sfetcu, The Birds World:
- Whilst it is often believed that the extinction of the Aepyornis was an effect of human actions, a study in 2000, by a team of archaeologists from Sheffield University and Royal Holloway University in the UK, suggests otherwise.
- Aepyornis on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- Aepyornis on Wikispecies.Wikispecies
- Aepyornis on Wikimedia Commons.Wikimedia Commons
- "aepyornis." Webster's Third New International Dictionary, Unabridged. Merriam-Webster, 2002.