Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: aepyornis
- A taxonomic genus within the family Aepyornithidae—elephant birds, large, extinct birds of Madagascar.
1919 June 6, WM. C. Bradbury, “Some notes on the egg of Aepyornis maximus”, in The Condor, volume 21, page 100:
- Calculations in displacement show the Aepyornis egg to be equivalent to each of the following number of eggs of modern species […]
1994, Gerald Durrell, The Aye-Aye and I, page 6:
- Although enormous, the Aepyornis was incapable of treating elephants in this cavalier fashion - even baby elephants - since, like the ostrich, it could not fly.
2014, Nicolae Sfetcu, The Birds World:
- Whilst it is often believed that the extinction of the Aepyornis was an effect of human actions, a study in 2000, by a team of archaeologists from Sheffield University and Royal Holloway University in the UK, suggests otherwise.
- Aepyornis on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- Aepyornis on Wikispecies. Wikispecies
- Aepyornis on Wikimedia Commons. Wikimedia Commons
- "aepyornis." Webster's Third New International Dictionary, Unabridged. Merriam-Webster, 2002.