American as apple pie
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Audio (AU) (file)
- (US, simile) Having characteristics considered quintessential to American life; very American.
- 1932, Cyril Clemens, Josh Billings, Yankee Humorist, page 178:
- Josh Billings is as American as apple pie or the corncob pipe.
- 1934, Jerry Wallace, A Parson at Large: Being an Account of Mason Locke Weems:
- The book is as American as apple pie, or spoon bread, or baked beans, and its influence must have been great during those times.