- (surname): Endy
Diminutive of Andrew.
- A diminutive of the male given name Andrew, from Ancient Greek.
- 2015, Joyce Carol Oates, Jack of Spades, Head of Zeus, →ISBN, page 104:
- "Irina? Call me 'Andy,' please."
"I think that I would rather call you 'Andrew'."
This was flattering, somehow. For everyone I knew called me "Andy"―a name comfortable as an old sneaker. There was dignity in "Andrew," and a kind of depth, complexity. Perhaps I began to fall in love with Irina Kacinzk for seeing more in me than I saw in myself at the time.
Of course, from time to time, Irina has called me "Andy." In her most affectionate moments, when she feels comfortable in my love, she even calles me "dear"―"darling."
- A diminutive of the female given name Andrea, from Ancient Greek.
- A surname.
- According to the 2010 United States Census, Andy is the 34465th most common surname in the United States, belonging to 657 individuals. Andy is most common among White (59.06%), Black/African American (17.5%) and American Indian/Alaska Native (12.18%) individuals.
Originates from the live streams of IRL streamer Ice Poseidon on the live streaming service Twitch in early 2017; comedian and actor Andy Milonakis frequently appeared on Ice Poseidon's streams before being supplemented by one Andy Martin, who was given the byname "Mexican Andy" to distinguish him from Milonakis—himself dubbed "Sitting Andy" in June. Subsequently, Ice Poseidon and his audience began referring to people who appeared on his streams by the name Andy and the term spread to other channels on Twitch by late 2017 as a generic name for any Twitch streamer.
- (Internet slang) A streamer on live streaming service Twitch.
- 2021 June 4, anaxchu, Twitter:
- dream stans pulling out the "he has adhd" card to hasan fucking piker the biggest adhd andy on twitch it's so funny
- 2022 October 3, shylilytwitch, Twitter:
- Why is this video going viral? 500k views almost on my Twitch channel 😂It's not even funny Oh hello LSF andy's 👋
Andy f pl (related adjective andský)
- Andy in Kartotéka Novočeského lexikálního archivu
- Andy in Slovník spisovného jazyka českého, 1960–1971, 1989
- Andy in Polish dictionaries at PWN