Jump to navigation Jump to search
The withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the European Union.
- Article 50
- The provision in the European Union's Lisbon Treaty allowing member countries to leave the EU.
- The backup position to ensure that no hard border exists between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland, by letting the United Kingdom remain in the EU Customs Union, under the Chequers plan
- The political position against leaving the European Union by the United Kingdom
- A person holding the Bremain position
- A person who complains about the withdrawal of the UK from the EU
- The withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the European Union.
- A person holding the Brexit position
- British Independent Group
- Synonym of The Independent Group
- Canada option
- The post-Brexit porposed relationship based on the Canada-European Union free trade treaty (CETA), with additional terms and clauses to add in financial services and territorial waters concerns.
- Chequers plan
- The agreement between the Theresa May ministry and the European Union, agreed upon in 2018, on how the withdrawal process will proceed, in the interim between exiting the European Union and the establishment of a new trade agreement between the EU and the UK, so that borders and business will proceed smoothly in a Soft Brexit. NOTE: Parliament has repeatedly rejected this plan. This plan only covers the period of time from the exit from the EU until the establishment of a new trade agreement, and is not a post-Brexit trade treaty.
- Abbreviation of European Research Group
- European Research Group
- syn: ERG
- Greenland option
- The post-Brexit proposed relationship based on the political situation of Greenland's relationship with the European Union; where Northern Ireland is in the EU customs union, while a hard border exists between it and the rest of the United Kingdom, which is outside the European Union.
- hard Brexit
- The withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the European Union without a withdrawal agreement or trade treaty; reverting to World Trade Organization rules on international trade, and United Nations international relations norms.
- The Independent Group
- A pro-EU political party established by renegades of the Conservative and Labour parties, who wish to proceed with a plan to withdraw Article 50 and remain within the EU, obviating the first Brexit referendum.
- syn: TIG
- Regret from having Brexit occurring; regret from voting for Brexit.