Jump to navigation Jump to search
Condom brand name: 1929, from durability, reliability, excellence.
Audio (AU) (file)
- (Britain) A brand of condom.
- (Australia) A brand of adhesive tape; sometimes used as the generic term for adhesive tape.
adhesive tape — see adhesive tape
Durex (plural Durexes)
- (Britain) A condom.
- 2006, “Rudebox”, in Rudebox, performed by Robbie Williams:
- Pocket full of Durex, body full of Mandrex / Are we gonna have sex? Will you wear your knee socks?
- Given the very different meanings in the UK and Australia, confusion (or worse) can arise when natives of one country use this term in the other.
- Use of Durex as a generic term for adhesive tape has declined markedly in Australia in recent years as the brand is no longer sold there, and in fact the condom brand is widely available and marketed in that country (though Durex is still rare as a generic term for condoms in Australia).
condom — see condom