Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (Islam) The religious celebration at the end of Ramadan, on the first day of the tenth month of the Muslim lunar calendar.
1998, Barbara DuMoulin; Sylvia Sikundar, Celebrating Our Cultures: Language Arts Activities for Classroom Teachers, Markham, Ont.: Pembroke Publishers, ISBN 978-1-55138-102-2, page 27:
- Eid ul-Fitr is one of the main celebrations in the Islamic calendar. […] Prior to Eid ul-Fitr celebrations people give an extra donation of food or money that is distributed to needy people so that no one will be without the means to celebrate the event. This donation is called Zakat ul-Fitr.
2003, Aisha Karen Khan, What You Will See Inside a Mosque, Woodstock, Vt.: SkyLight Paths Publishing, ISBN 978-1-893361-60-7, page 20:
- At the end of Ramadan, Muslims celebrate one of the most important Islamic holidays, Eid al-fitr. It is a one-day celebration after the last day of fasting. In the evening on the twenty-ninth day of Ramadan, we go out to see if the moon has appeared. If the moon is not seen, we fast one more day. If it is seen, the next day is Eid al-fitr. During Eid al-fitr, we visit friends and family and have people over to our houses. It is a very happy and special holiday for children.
2015, Kathleen Tracy, Islamic Culture in the Middle East in Perspective (World Cultures in Perspective), Hockessin, De.: Mitchell Lane Publishers, Inc., ISBN 978-1-61228-567-2, page 27:
- At the end of Ramadan, there is an exuberant celebration called Eid al-Fitr, the Festival of Fast-Breaking. […] Eid al-Fitr falls on the first day of Shawwal, the month that follows Ramadan in the Islamic calendar. In the morning, Muslims gather early in outdoor locations or mosques to perform the Eid prayer, which is a short congregational prayer followed by a sermon. After the sermon is finished, everyone leaves to visit family and friends. It is common to bring gifts, especially to children. The celebration can last as long as three days.
- Eid al-Saghir
- Feast of Fasting
- Lesser Eid
- Minor Feast
- Ramadan Feast
- Small Eid
- Sugar Feast
- Sweet Festival
Eid al-Fitr m
- (Islam) Eid al-Fitr (religious celebration)