Coined by Russian-Canadian programmer Vitalik Buterin after browsing a list of fictional elements on Wikipedia; based on ether.
- An open source, blockchain-based cryptocurrency network, that features smart contracts.
2019, Xun (Brian) Wu, Zhihong Zou, Dongying Song, “Ethereum Architecture and Ecosystem”, in Learn Ethereum […] , Packt Publishing Ltd, →ISBN, page 74:
All Ethereum clients provide a set of JSON-RPC methods for external DApps to interact with the Ethereum blockchain network.
- (proscribed) Ether, the cryptocurrency used in that network.
- Synonym: ETH
2021 March 11, Scott Reyburn, “JPG File Sells for $69 Million, as ‘NFT Mania’ Gathers Pace”, in The New York Times, →ISSN:
“Everydays” was the first purely digital NFT sold by Christie’s, and it offered to accept payment in Ethereum, another first for the 255-year-old auction house.
- Mandarin: 以太坊 (yǐtàifáng)
- Japanese: イーサリアム (īsariamu)
- Korean: please add this translation if you can