The phrase originally was applied to those involved in the Jesus movement of the late 1960s and early 1970s, within the context of the freak scene of that era. However, some Christians now consider it a reclaimed word, as Christians, especially Christian youth, occasionally use it today as a positive term to let others know that they are not ashamed of their belief in Jesus.
- (pejorative, slang) One who is perceived to be overtly and excessively Christian.
- (Christianity, slang) An enthusiastic Christian.
- 1971. Elton John, Tiny Dancer (lyrics),
- Jesus freaks, out in the street, handing tickets out to God,
- 1986. Felt Ballad of the Band (lyrics).
- 1995. dc Talk, Jesus Freak (title of song).