After NBA player Kobe Bryant, emulating an earlier use of the name of Michael Jordan. Popularized by Dave Chappelle in a 2004 sketch. Kobe Bryant's parent named him after the famous beef of Kobe, Japan, which they saw on a restaurant menu.
- (slang, US) Exclaimed, while throwing something at a target, as a prediction or acknowledgement of accuracy.
- 2012 January 18, The Black Sheep, volume 6, number 2, Michigan State University, page 7:
- (throws aforementioned paper cup at Russell Byrd– hits Byrd in the head) KOBE!
Derrick Nix: Are you serious? You threw a crumpled paper cup at his head, hit him, and then yelled “Kobe!”
- 2016 April 20, The Signal, volume XLIV, number 2, The College of New Jersey, page 27:
- Miguel: When you write a bad draft of your Signal article, there’s only one thing to do to it — smash it up into a ball, throw it to the nearest recycle bin and scream “KOBE!”
- 2019 March 22, OC Weekly, volume 24, number 30, Orange County, California: Duncan McIntosh Company, page 20:
- As I spend 10 minutes debating what to order, a kid nearby entertains himself by squirting free edamame beans across the restaurant. I try the same, saying “Kobe!” as I shoot one in my mouth at arm’s length on the first try.
After Kobe Bryant.
- Hyphenation: ko‧be
- a male given name