Monopoly money (uncountable)
- Play money printed on paper, especially differently colored denominations used in the board game Monopoly.
- (slang, US) Bills of foreign currency which are brightly colored or printed on flimsy paper.
- Money, especially paper money, that is perceived to have little or no value, or to be distributed freely.
- (idiomatic) Money that doesn't really exist, referring to fraudulent record keeping.
- 2005, Craig M. Boise, Playing with ‘Monopoly Money’: Phony Profits, Fraud Penalties and Equity, Minnesota Law Review, volume 90, page 144
- They did so to conceal the fact that they were playing with Monopoly money—fabricating profits as phony as the pastel-colored money used in the classic Parker Brothers board game.
strange-looking foreign currency