Jump to navigation Jump to search
- IPA(key): /ˈn(j)uː ɔɹˈliːnz/, /n(j)uː ˈɔɹliːnz/, (especially in the local dialect) /nuː ˈɔɹlənz/
- (possibly dated outside the local dialect) IPA(key): /ˌnuː ˈɔɹ.li.ənz/, /ˌnuː ˈɔɹ.lɛ.ənz/
- (in the local dialect, with synaeresis) IPA(key): /ˈnɔɹlənz/, IPA(key): /ˈnɔːlənz/
- The largest city in Louisiana, United States and the parish seat of Orleans Parish, which is coterminous with the city. It is an industrial and distribution center and major seaport located along the Mississippi near the Gulf of Mexico, known for its rich cultural heritage, especially its music and cuisine.
- ^ This tetrasyllabic pronunciation is found in e.g. The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia: Cyclopedia of Names.