Why no definition for this character? 18.104.22.168 03:00, 10 March 2006 (UTC)
This discussion is no longer live and is left here as an archive. Please do not modify this conversation, but feel free to discuss its conclusions.
Rfv-sense for the article's following definitions: apply, smear, plaster and to put on. I couldn't find any sources for these definitions but I thought maybe one of our native Chinese editors might have more insight into the situation than I do. Bumm13 (talk) 05:11, 6 January 2015 (UTC)
- Probably why you can't find sources is because in general I would say the word means sweep or brush (its pretty close to uses 3,4 and 5 of brush when used as a verb) and that it describes the movement of the hand, it needs a modifier to be used in the senses above e.g.上 to create 抺上 and only really when talking about powdery, liquid and semi-liquid things, for example paint, food, make up etc. So for example
- "apply an egg wash" - 抺上蛋漿
- "smear on some sunscreen"-抹上防曬油
- "plaster something" (as in a wall) -抹上灰泥
- By coincidence, I think, to paint something black 抺黑 has the sense of smear as in smear campaign.
- Its not in our entry but by pairing with 走 or 去, ie 抺走 or 抺去, we have wipe away,sweep away, e.g. wipe away tears-抺走眼淚.--KTo288 (talk) 20:20, 1 April 2015 (UTC)