how do you pronouce Свобода? If I where russian how would I say it?
- Svoboda - --Expurgator t(c) 23:00, 13 April 2006 (UTC)
- More correctly: /svabóda/ (first unstressed 'o' as 'a') --Jaroslavleff 10:42, 13 August 2006 (UTC)
What is the origin of the word freedom? 22.214.171.124 19:17, 8 March 2007 (UTC)
The following discussion has been moved from Wiktionary:Feedback.
This discussion is no longer live and is left here as an archive. Please do not modify this conversation, but feel free to discuss its conclusions.
The plural of "freedom" is "freedom". Check any dictionary and you will never see "freedoms" listed as the plural of "freedom". That is a recent fad started by ignorant people. You don't say "deers", "mooses" or "freedoms".
- A little research shows that it is neither recent nor a fad. Here is a 1907 quote from the New York State Library's History Bulletin:
- The contrary minded, seeing that they could no longer prevent it directly, began indirectly under pretext of economy to curtail these freedoms.
- The people at the New York State Library are unlikely to be ignorant by any standard, so your information was incorrect. --EncycloPetey 13:49, 25 September 2009 (UTC)