Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Top Priority: Adjectives[edit]

Is there an adjective form of spot?

spotty. —Stephen (Talk) 03:01, 24 January 2011 (UTC)

From WT:RFV[edit]

(diff, oldid)


Rfv-sense: To remove a spot. Tagged June 2007, but never brought to RfV, AFAICT. Spurious? Widespread use, IMO. DCDuring TALK 16:54, 13 July 2008 (UTC)

Reword it to indicate that it usually refers to removing spots from one's clothing. From the American Heritage Dictionary: "To remove spots from, as in a laundry." --♠TBC♠ 19:55, 13 July 2008 (UTC)
But it doesn't say that in the AHD; they have merely provided an example, not a "usual usage". You've read too much into their definition. --EncycloPetey 18:04, 14 July 2008 (UTC)
I've never heard of "spot" in this general sense having any application for material not a fabric. Has anyone else?
Whether the meaning is restricted to fabric or not, I would have thought this is in widespread use. Does anyone agree? DCDuring TALK 19:26, 14 July 2008 (UTC)
The sense is usually used in the context of clothing. It's rarely used in other situations. From "to remove a spot or spots from (clothing), esp. before dry cleaning"--TBC 22:01, 14 July 2008 (UTC)
And agreed, the sense should be kept.--TBC 22:01, 14 July 2008 (UTC)
Correction: "fabric", not "clothing". You're still adding specificity to information that isn't in the source you're citing. FWIW, I've never heard "sopt" used to mean "removing stains", and would have assumed it meant the opposite before this discussion. It is regional in use? --EncycloPetey 22:15, 14 July 2008 (UTC)
Look again. It specifically mentions clothing in the verb section under the definitions. As for regional use, I'm not sure. The American Heritage dictionary doesn't list it as regional or informal, so I'm assuming it's neither. --TBC 00:21, 17 July 2008 (UTC)
Just an abbreviated form of spot-clean - jargon in the cleaning business. Dbfirs 20:22, 28 July 2008 (UTC)

Per DCDuring and Dbfirs, I'm keeping this as clearly in widespread use. (I've heard it, too, actually, though in my own experience its use is not widespread. I assume it's regional.)​—msh210 18:56, 30 June 2009 (UTC)

So, rfv-passed. I'll move this discussion to the entry's talk page now. — Beobach972 18:53, 1 July 2009 (UTC)

"good spot"[edit]

I've occasionally found myself saying "good spot" for "well spotted", i.e. when someone notices a mistake in a document. Is this something weird and idiosyncratic that I've made up? If not, we are missing a noun sense. Equinox 21:18, 11 July 2017 (UTC)