The following information passed a request for deletion.
This discussion is no longer live and is left here as an archive. Please do not modify this conversation, but feel free to discuss its conclusions.
- Ah, yes. The article debate. This comes up time and time again. Have we reached any kind of consensus? Arguably combinations like these are so fixed that it would almost seem absurd to move everything to the noun entry. ---> Tooironic 23:35, 10 May 2010 (UTC)
- How about the one and only, my one and only, the President, the Queen? For the most part the battle is over and "the" lost. This one is debatable. If I go to the dog pound to make a selection, I might well say "He/she/it/this/that/here/there is the one." If this were used in sentences like "The one brought me some lovely chocolates.", I might go along with the gag. DCDuring TALK 00:45, 11 May 2010 (UTC)
- Strong keep. I also tagged it as (idiomatic, colloquial). Very common idiom in English. Facts707 11:00, 13 May 2010 (UTC)
- Keep at one, dropping article in title per our convention (cf. the wheel etc.) and per expectation in English. DCDuring, I would have one and only. DAVilla 10:47, 20 July 2010 (UTC)
- Probably a good one to have. I wonder if there are particular aspects of the use of "the" that elude folks. I would argue that there is very little to be said about "the one" that wouldn't be redundant to a full explication of this kind of use of "the". I don't think language learners will ever learn real English unless they can generalize this use of "the". Accordingly, I wish we could redirect to "the" all of the entries beginning with "the" (with exception, including especially proverbs and phrasebook entries). Perhaps we need a new kind of entry for expressions that are NISoP where all (or more than one of ?) the parts are essentially grammatical, as "the" and "one" are in this case.DCDuring TALK 14:36, 20 July 2010 (UTC)
- Delete or redirect, perhaps to the per DCDuring.—msh210℠ (talk) 16:53, 1 September 2010 (UTC)
deleted. Now a redirect. -- Prince Kassad 17:59, 28 April 2011 (UTC)
- RFD passed (note, someone removed my original RFD passed comment, and I'm not going to go through the page history to restore it). Mglovesfun (talk) 21:45, 3 June 2011 (UTC)