I'm surprised you haven't been welcomed yet; here you go!
Hello, welcome to Wiktionary, and thank you for your contributions so far.
If you are unfamiliar with wiki editing, take a look at Help:How to edit a page. It is a concise list of technical guidelines to the wiki format we use here: how to, for example, make text boldfaced or create hyperlinks. Feel free to practice in the sandbox. If you would like a slower introduction we have a short tutorial.
These links may help you familiarize yourself with Wiktionary:
- Entry layout explained (ELE) is a detailed policy documenting how Wiktionary pages should be formatted. All entries should conform to this standard. The easiest way to start off is to copy the contents of an existing page for a similar word, and then adapt it to fit the entry you are creating.
- Our Criteria for inclusion (CFI) define exactly which words can be added to Wiktionary, though it may be a bit technical and longwinded. The most important part is that Wiktionary only accepts words that have been in somewhat widespread use over the course of at least a year, and citations that demonstrate usage can be asked for when there is doubt.
- If you already have some experience with editing our sister project Wikipedia, then you may find our guide for Wikipedia users useful.
- The FAQ aims to answer most of your remaining questions, and there are several help pages that you can browse for more information.
- A glossary of our technical jargon, and some hints for dealing with the more common communication issues.
- If you have anything to ask about or suggest, we have several discussion rooms. Feel free to ask any other editors in person if you have any problems or question, by posting a message on their talk page.
You are encouraged to add a BabelBox to your userpage. This shows which languages you know, so other editors know which languages you'll be working on, and what they can ask you for help with.
I hope you enjoy editing here and being a Wiktionarian! If you have any questions, bring them to the Wiktionary:Information desk, or ask me on my talk page. If you do so, please sign your posts with four tildes: ~~~~ which automatically produces your username and the current date and time.
- @Metaknowledge Thanks, I do tend to forget those. Why did you just nominate me and then immediately revert the edit? Teasing? Last moment change of heart? :) Pfftallofthemaretaken (talk) 21:21, 25 September 2015 (UTC)
- It's embarrassing that those things are so visible xD
- But I was just thinking that it's silly to keep marking your edits as patrolled, but then I noticed you'd just made a formatting error and that you've only made a few hundred edits so far, so I figured I'd wait a bit. It doesn't affect you except for editing entries like gay, after all. —Μετάknowledgediscuss/deeds 22:27, 25 September 2015 (UTC)
"Compare" is too vague, it doesn't mean anything. If there is a particular connection between the words, then state that connection. Also, we don't just allow any kind of heading in entries, they must follow a strict format. See WT:ELE. —CodeCat 00:21, 26 September 2015 (UTC)