Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: whig
- IPA(key): /ʍɪɡ/, /wɪɡ/; enPR: hwĭg, wĭg
- Rhymes: -ɪɡ
- Homophones: whig, wig (in accents with the wine-whine merger)
Whig (plural Whigs)
- (UK politics) A member of an 18th- and 19th-century political party in Britain that was opposed to the Tories, and eventually became the Liberal Party.
- (UK politics) A member (especially a politician) of the former Liberal Party or its successor, the Liberal Democrats.
- (US politics) An advocate of war against Britain during the American Revolution.
- (US politics) A member of a 19th-century US political party opposed to the Democratic Party.
a member of an 18th- and 19th-century political party