This "What vandalism is not" section is very interesting. While I'm sure that is the view on Wikipedia, I'm not sure this interpretation is common here on Wiktionary. This seems like a classic case of scope-creep. On the other hand, it does not seem harmful...just overly pedantic on a topic we normally are not at all pedantic about, here. --Connel MacKenzie T C 05:03, 26 April 2006 (UTC)
- I hadn't thought of it that way until now. I only saw them as labels for examples of what vandalism is not. Let me know what you think of the line that I added to that section: "Although sometimes referred to as such, the following things are not vandalism and are therefore treated differently. It should be made clear that the following are only examples. This list should not be viewed as all inclusive or doctrinal". Psy guy 12:35, 26 April 2006 (UTC)
The following information passed a request for deletion.
This discussion is no longer live and is left here as an archive. Please do not modify this conversation, but feel free to discuss its conclusions.
- I can see value in having some sort of page at this title, even if it merely points to the relevant pages. This is a straightforward page name of the sort we usually have for other topics. --EncycloPetey 02:05, 26 November 2008 (UTC)
- I have protected the page as sysops-only, as there has been unproductive edit reversion and insertion of Wikipedia policies by a new user who doesn't understand the separation of the WM projects. --EncycloPetey 21:17, 26 November 2008 (UTC)
- I like this edition at least. The page has value. Keep.—msh210℠ 21:51, 1 December 2008 (UTC)
- Keep: Wiktionary needs a page describing vandalism on it as well as Wikipedia does. -- IRP 18:14, 5 April 2009 (UTC)
Kept --Jackofclubs 06:38, 16 June 2009 (UTC)
Bad Vandalism ..
Racism-Move to Change
I think most people that use wiktionary should be aware that calling this section "vandalism" is racist. It refers to the racist references from foreigners (Romans) describing the Germanic Vandals as terrible and destructive people. When in fact, modern historians have proven this wrong. Even if it were true, it is wrong to use an ethnic slur.
Would it be proper on here to say, for example, "My butt hurts, I need to pop off a Muslim in the toilet"? Or to say "The place is in such ruins, it is literally niggerfied"?
My daughters name is Wendeline (Of which Vandal is the root). And she has Vandal blood. As do I am my whole family. Using the "v" word this way should be unacceptable.18.104.22.168 07:42, 18 October 2015 (UTC)
- This is a bit of a stretch. While it's true that the historical characterization of the Vandals is unfair and incorrect, no one associates the word vandalism with the Vandals- except, apparently, you. As for your other edits, please be advised that Wiktionary is a descriptive dictionary, and we describe language as it is, not as you would like to sanitize it. For instance, master race in actual usage is very strongly associated with references to Nazi ideology, so we can't just remove that. Besides which, Germans and Nazis are not the same thing, so there's no "Germanophobia" involved. As for removing a reference to the pear cultivar 'Hermann': don't remove things that you don't know anything about. Chuck Entz (talk) 15:12, 18 October 2015 (UTC)