Jump to navigation Jump to search
abstainment (plural abstainments)
- (rare) An act of abstaining; an abstention.
- 1871, Edward Nichols Dennys, The alpha, or First principle of the human mind, page 227:
- Criminality consists in the Intention; and the mere abstainment therefrom, through motives of hope or fear, is not Innocence; but Prudence […]
- 1917, Edna Ferber, Fanny herself:
- It is the custom in the household of Atonement Day fasters of the old school to begin the evening meal, after the twenty-four hours of abstainment, with coffee and freshly baked coffee cake of every variety.