Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /əbˈstɛn.ʃn̩/
- (US) IPA(key): /æbˈstɛn.ʃn̩/, /əbˈstɛn.ʃn̩/, /æbˈstɛn.t͡ʃn̩/, /əbˈstɛn.t͡ʃn̩/
Audio (US) (file)
- (obsolete) The act of restraining oneself. [Attested from the early 16th century until the med 17th century.]
- The act of abstaining; a holding aloof; refraining from. [First attested in the early 17th century.]
- The act of declining to vote on a particular issue. [First attested in the late 19th century.]
- Non-participation in the political world; as a country avoiding international affairs.
the act of abstaining
- “abstention” in Lesley Brown, editor-in-chief; William R. Trumble and Angus Stevenson, editors, The Shorter Oxford English Dictionary on Historical Principles, 5th edition, Oxford; New York, N.Y.: Oxford University Press, 2002, →ISBN, page 9.
abstention f (plural abstentions)