- 1 English
- 2 Danish
- 3 French
- 4 German
- 5 Interlingua
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˌɪntəˈnæʃ(ə)n(ə)l/, [ˌɪntəˈnæʃ(ə)n(ə)ɫ]
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˌɪntɚˈnæʃ(ə)n(ə)l/, [ˌɪntɚˈnæʃ(ə)n(ə)ɫ], [ˌɪɾ̃ɚˈnæʃ(ə)n(ə)ɫ]
Audio (US) (file)
- Of or having to do with more than one nation.
- Between or among nations
- an international discussion
- participated in by two or more nations
- an international competition
- common to, or affecting, two or more nations.
- an international rule
- serving two or more nations
- an international airport
- Of or concerning the association called the International.
- Independent of national boundaries; common to all people.
2013 June 7, Joseph Stiglitz, “Globalisation is about taxes too”, in The Guardian Weekly, volume 188, number 26, page 19:
- It is time the international community faced the reality: we have an unmanageable, unfair, distortionary global tax regime. It is a tax system that is pivotal in creating the increasing inequality that marks most advanced countries today – with America standing out in the forefront and the UK not far behind.
The atmosphere is an international resource.
the international community of scholars
- Foreign; of another nation.
an international student
- 2014 October 27, Steve Ginsburg, Reuters "More international players than ever before, league says":
- The number of international players in the National Basketball Association has increased 10 percent from one year ago, the league said on Monday.
between, concerning, or transcending multiple nations
international (plural internationals)
- (sports) Someone who has represented their country in a particularly sport.
- The United team includes five England internationals.
- (sports) A game or contest between two or more nations.
|Inflection of international|
|1) When an adjective is applied predicatively to something definite, the corresponding "indefinite" form is used.
2) The "indefinite" superlatives may not be used attributively.
- IPA(key): /ɛ̃.tɛʁ.na.sjɔ.nal/
Audio (France, Paris) (file)
- Homophones: internationale, internationales
- Hyphenation: in‧ter‧na‧tio‧nal
Les Nations Unies sont une organisation internationale.
- The United Nations is an international organization.
- “international” in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).
international (not comparable)
Declension of international
- international in Duden online