Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /əˈbʌn.dn̩t.li/
- (US) IPA(key): /əˈbʌn.dn̩t.li/, /əˈbn̩.dn̩t.li/
Audio (US) (file)
- In an abundant manner; in a sufficient degree; fully; amply; plentifully; in large measure. [First attested around 1350 to 1470.]
2012 May 26, Phil McNulty, “Norway 0-1 England”, in BBC Sport:
- Hodgson also has Wayne Rooney to call on once he has served a two-match suspension at the start of the tournament - and it is abundantly clear England will rely as heavily as ever on his ability to shape the outcome of important games.
- 1611, Bible (KJV): Genesis, I, 20
- And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven.
in an abundant manner
- ^ Philip Babcock Gove (editor), Webster's Third International Dictionary of the English Language, Unabridged (G. & C. Merriam Co., 1976 , ISBN 0-87779-101-5), page 8
- ^ Lesley Brown (editor), The Shorter Oxford English Dictionary, 5th edition (Oxford University Press, 2003 , ISBN 978-0-19-860575-7), page 10