Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /əˈbʌn.dn̩t.li/
- (US) IPA(key): /əˈbʌn.dn̩t.li/, /əˈbn̩.dn̩t.li/
Audio (US) (file)
- In an abundant manner; in a sufficient degree; fully; amply; plentifully; in large measure. [First attested around 1350 to 1470.]
- And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven.
- 1905, James Geikie, Structural and Field Geology: For Students of Pure and Applied Science
- When strata are so unsymmetrically and abundantly folded that it becomes difficult or impossible to trace out the individual flexures and crumplings — the whole forming an irregular complex of folds — they are said to be contorted […]
2012 May 26, Phil McNulty, “Norway 0-1 England”, in BBC Sport:
- Hodgson also has Wayne Rooney to call on once he has served a two-match suspension at the start of the tournament - and it is abundantly clear England will rely as heavily as ever on his ability to shape the outcome of important games.
- Extremely. (Can we add an example for this sense?)
in an abundant manner
- ^ Philip Babcock Gove (editor), Webster's Third International Dictionary of the English Language, Unabridged (G. & C. Merriam Co., 1976 , ISBN 0-87779-101-5), page 8
- ^ Lesley Brown (editor), The Shorter Oxford English Dictionary, 5th edition (Oxford University Press, 2003 , ISBN 978-0198605751), page 10