Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Appropriate; satisfactory; acceptable.
- Intellectually admissible; valid; probable.
- Able to be added or deducted in consideration of something.
- Permissible; tolerable; legitimate.
- 1650, Thomas Browne, Pseudodoxia Epidemica: […], 2nd edition, London: […] A. Miller, for Edw[ard] Dod and Nath[aniel] Ekins, […], OCLC 152706203:
- And first, although there were more things in nature then words which did expresse them, yet even in these mute and silent discourses, to expresse complexed significations, they took a liberty to compound and piece together creatures of allowable formes unto mixtures inexistent […]
- (obsolete) Praiseworthy.
- (permissible): leveful
allowable (plural allowables)
- permitted amount or activity.