- The act of anathematizing; vigorous denunciation.
- 1864, Charles Dickens, chapter 2, in Our Mutual Friend:
- "He burst in on his father, and pleaded his sister's cause. Venerable parent promptly resorts to anathematization, and turns him out."
- 1916, Elbert Hubbard, Little Journeys Vol. 4: Eminent Painters, "Michelangelo":
- Michelangelo very naturally seconded the anathematization of the Bolognese by Julius, not so much for the insult to the Pope as for the wretched lack of taste they had shown in destroying a work of art.
the act of anathematizing