Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- aunswerable (obsolete)
- Obliged to answer or be called to account (to somebody); accountable, responsible.
- Will any man argue that . . . he can not be justly punished, but is answerable only to God? --Swift.
- (archaic) Correspondent, in accordance; comparable (to).
- What wit and policy of man is answerable to their discreet and orderly course? --Holland.
- 1644, John Milton, Aeropagitica:
- To this revelation he assented the sooner, as he confesses, because it was answerable to that of the Apostle to the Thessalonians, Prove all things, hold fast that which is good.
- (now rare) Proportionate; commensurate in amount; suitable.
- (rare) Capable of being answered or refuted; admitting a satisfactory answer.
- The argument, though subtle, is yet answerable. --Johnson.
obliged to answer; liable to be called to account; liable to pay, indemnify, or make good
capable of being answered or refuted; admitting a satisfactory answer
proportionate; commensurate; suitable