arse about face
Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (slang, Britain, Australia, New Zealand) Placed or arranged the opposite way to the way it should be.
- No wonder it doesn't look right mate, you've got the whole thing arse about face.
2006, Peter North, quoting an anonymous member of a local currency scheme, “Self-Analysis: Do Members see LETS as a Social Movement?”, in Alternative Currency Movements As A Challenge To Globalisation?: A Case Study of Manchester's Local Currency Networks, Ashgate Publishing, ISBN 9780754645917, Part II Manchester's Alternative Currency Networks, page 99:
- Like we didn't move here for my job, we came here (for ...) to become a student and study for a degree and it's arse about face. We tend to do things in an arse-about-face way no matter how hard we try. And I, at the risk of being hopelessly inarticulate I like the arse about face-ness of the LETS system.
2010, Sean Gallacher, The Eskimo, page 27:
- We've got it so arse about face in modern society.
- (slang, Britain, Australia, New Zealand) Arranged in a confused or haphazard way; muddled.
- (slang, Britain, Australia, New Zealand) In a manner that is opposite to or the reverse of the way it should be, backwards.
2005, Sam Smith, The End of Science Fiction, page 179:
- We've been looking at it arse about face.
2011, Russell Shaw, Easy: A Dogs Life, page 54:
- ‘Look, Mary. That chap is sitting arse about face. He's having a laugh. He can't be serious.’
- ‘Don't be so critical, George. More than likely it's his first time on a horse.’
- (slang, Britain, Australia, New Zealand) In a confused or haphazard manner.
2005, John Orr, Hitchcock and 20th Century Cinema, page 67:
- Meanwhile the Law, as usual, tumbles arse about face: the killings multiply; the cops are clueless and duly arrest the wrong man.