Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: athlète
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈæθ.liːt/
- (General American, Canada) IPA(key): /ˈæθ.lit/
- (proscribed) IPA(key): /ˈæθ.ə.liːt/
Audio (US) (file)
athlete (plural athletes)
- A participant in a group of sporting activities which includes track and field, road running, cross country running and racewalking.
2013 March 1, David S. Senchina, “Athletics and Herbal Supplements”, in American Scientist, volume 101, number 2, page 134:
- Athletes' use of herbal supplements has skyrocketed in the past two decades. At the top of the list of popular herbs are echinacea and ginseng, whereas garlic, St. John's wort, soybean, ephedra and others are also surging in popularity or have been historically prevalent.
- She's the first athlete in her sport to obtain a corporate sponsor.
- (US, Canada) A person who actively participates in physical sports, especially with great skill; a sportsperson.
- An exceptionally physically fit person.
participant in one of several sporting activities
person who actively participates in physical sports
exceptionally physically fit person
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
Translations to be checked