Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: Attar
- (UK) IPA(key): [ˈæt.ə]
Audio (UK) (file)
- (US) IPA(key): [ˈæt̬.əɹ], [ˈæt̬.ɑːɹ]
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ætə(r)
- An essential oil extracted from flowers.
- 1857, G[eorge] W[illiam] Septimus Piesse, “Section III”, in The Art of Perfumery, and Method of Obtaining the Odors of Plants, […], Philadelphia, Pa.: Lindsay and Blackiston, OCLC 30552856, page 78:
- Now, when orange-flowers are distilled with water, we procure the otto of the blossom, which is known commercially as oil of neroli.
- 1938, Xavier Herbert, Capricornia, Chapter VIII, p. 125, 
- I bequeath to you my literary work. Useless though these might be commercially, they are the attar-drops distilled from the long and futile ebullience of my life.
- A perfume made from this oil.
essential oil extracted from flowers
perfume made from this oil