Jump to navigation Jump to search
Alteration by association with -ary of the French axillaire (“of the axilla”), itself an alteration of the earlier forms aisselliere and aissellaire, both from the assumed Latin etymon *axillāris, from axilla (“armpit”), diminutive form of the assumed *axula.
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈæksɪlɛɹi/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ækˈsɪləɹi/ (etymologically correct)
- Rhymes: -æksɪlɛɹi, -ɪləɹi
- Rhymes: -æksɪlɛəɹi
axillary (not comparable)
- Of or pertaining to the axilla or armpit.
- (botany) Situated in, or rising from, an axil; relating to an axil.
of or pertaining to the axilla
axillary (plural axillaries)
- Alternative form of axillar
- English terms derived from French
- English terms derived from Latin
- English 4-syllable words
- English terms with IPA pronunciation
- Rhymes:English/ɪləɹi/4 syllables
- Rhymes:English/æksɪlɛəɹi/4 syllables
- English lemmas
- English adjectives
- English uncomparable adjectives
- English nouns
- English countable nouns
- English relational adjectives