Alteration by association with -ary of the French axillaire (“of the axilla”), itself an alteration of the earlier forms aisselliere and aissellaire, both from the assumed Latin etymon *axillāris, from axilla (“armpit”), diminutive form of the assumed *axula.
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈæksɪlɛɹi/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ækˈsɪləɹi/
- Rhymes: -æksɪlɛɹi, -ɪləɹi
axillary (not comparable)
- Of or pertaining to the axilla or armpit.
- (botany) Situated in, or rising from, an axil; relating to an axil.
axillary (plural axillaries)
- Alternative form of