Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Rhymes: -aɪdɪŋ
backsliding (plural backslidings)
- An occasion on which one backslides, especially in a moral sense
- 1918, Walter Raleigh, England and the War:
- We have had many stumblings and many backslidings.
- 1851, Harvey Newcomb, A Practical Directory for Young Christian Females:
- If their actions are bad, look back and inquire into the cause of their backslidings.
- 1906, Charles Kingsley, Out of the Deep:
- All their struggles, disappointments, failures, backslidings, which made them unhappy here, because they could not perfectly do the will of God, are past and over for ever.