Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: banana-bender
- (Australia, humorous) An inhabitant of Queensland.
2003, Rosemary Patterson, Journey Great Barrier Reef: An Adventure Novel Set in Australia, page 17:
- “Not now, you banana bender! The Commencement Speech takes place at the dinner tonight.”
- “Banana bender! I'm not from Queenland, I'll ‘ave you know. And I needs to test out the mike in advance. Always have trouble with those things.”
2007, Pip Wilson, Faces in the Street: Louisa and Henry Lawson and the Castlereagh Street Push, page 137:
- If Billy Lane hadn't given him duch a firm handshake, Henry reckons he'd be wondering if all the Banana-benders shook like a girl.
2007, Raymond Evans, A History of Queensland, page 219:
- In comparison with other Australians, they were considered an odder sort of people – the banana-benders of Banana-land – a heat-stroked and skin-cancered people, dogged, ‘unimaginably tough and undeniably brittle’.
2011, Reynold Conger, Chased Across Australia, page 180:
- Terry nodded. “Yes, you don't have too many cars to contend with here, and we banana benders are rather courteous, especially once we realize you're a tourist. Just be careful on the curves, especially where the road goes along the bluffs.”