Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- barbituate (US, colloquial, nonstandard)
- IPA(key): /ˌbɑː(ɹ)ˈbɪtʃəɹɪt/, /ˌbɑː(ɹ)ˈbɪtʃəɹeɪt/, ˌbɑɹbɪˈt(j)ʊəɹɪt, ˌbɑɹbɪˈt(j)ʊəɹeɪt
Audio (US) (file)
- (US, colloquial, nonstandard) IPA(key): /ˌbɑɹˈbɪtʃu.ɪt/, /ˌbɑɹˈbɪt(j)u.ɪt/
Audio (UK) (file)
barbiturate (plural barbiturates)
- (organic chemistry) Any salt or ester of barbituric acid.
- (pharmacology) Any of derivatives of barbituric acid that act as depressants of the central nervous system and are used as sedatives or hypnotics.
salt or ester of barbituric acid
derivative of barbituric acid that acts as a depressant of the central nervous system
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked