Jump to navigation Jump to search
- To knock an object, usually a ball, away from oneself.
- The ball can still be batted away with one or both hands. It can be batted from a player's hands or batted away during a shot.
- To avoid by diverting the focus of a discussion.
- 2008 April 13, Robin McKie, Heather Stewart, “Hunger. Strikes. Riots. The food crisis bites”, in The Observer:
- For his part, Hank Paulson, the US Treasury Secretary - asked about the impact of US energy policies on food prices on Friday - tried to bat away the question.
- (US, baseball, of a batter) To use one's own judgment to aggressively swing at pitches, rather than following a coaches instructions.
- (US, circus slang) To use any means to take the money of participants in a circus gaming attraction.