bear down on
Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- To approach someone in a very determined way.
- I could see the headmaster bearing down on me, and looked hopelessly round for a means of escape.
- 1918, Edgar Rice Burroughs, The Land That Time Forgot Chapter IV
- We were moving slowly up the river as the creature bore down upon us with distended jaws. The long neck was far outstretched, and the four flippers with which it swam were working with powerful strokes, carrying it forward at a rapid pace.
2011 December 27, Mike Henson, “Norwich 0 - 2 Tottenham”, in BBC Sport:
- Their first clear opportunity duly came courtesy of a mistake from Russell Martin, who was hustled off the ball by Bale, but the midfielder scooped his finish well over the top as he bore down on the Norwich goal.