Clipping of beauty.
beaut (plural beauts)
- (informal) Something or someone that is physically attractive.
That new car of yours is a real beaut.
- (informal) Something that is a remarkable example of its type.
1942, Nelson Algren, Never Come Morning, published 2001, page 282:
- Bruno lifted his left hand out of the bucket in order to point out to Catfoot a lump, the size of a darning egg, over his left eye. […] "Ain't it a beaut, Cat? It's where he butted me."
1994, Stephen Jay Gould, Eight Little Piggies: Reflections in Natural History, page 109:
- In his most famous quip, La Guardia once remarked, “When I make a mistake it's a beaut!”
2000, James Patterson, The Midnight Club, page 272:
- Both of them were used to long surveillance stints. This looked like it might be a beaut.
- (someone that is physically attractive): For semantic relationships of this sense, see beautiful person in the Thesaurus.