Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- beholding (obsolete)
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /bɪˈhəʊldən/
- (General American) IPA(key): /bɨˈhoʊldən/
- Hyphenation: be‧hol‧den
- Rhymes: -əʊldən
beholden (not comparable)
- Obligated to provide, display, or do something for another; indebted, obliged.
- From an early age, I had decided I wanted to be beholden to no one.
- Bound by external expectations, such as fashion or morality.
2012 June 26, Genevieve Koski, “Music: Reviews: Justin Bieber: Believe”, in The Onion AV Club:
- But musical ancestry aside, the influence to which Bieber is most beholden is the current trends in pop music, which means Believe is loaded up with EDM accouterments [sic], seeking a comfortable middle ground where Bieber’s impressively refined pop-R&B croon can rub up on techno blasts and garish dubstep drops (and occasionally grind on some AutoTune, not necessarily because it needs it, but because a certain amount of robo-voice is expected these days).
obligated, bound by moral obligation