- Alternative form of
From Old Swedish betala, bitala, bittala, from Middle Low German betalen, equivalent to be- + tala. Cognate with Danish betale, Norwegian Bokmål betale, Norwegian Nynorsk betala, betale, Dutch betalen, West Frisian betelje, German bezahlen, Low German betahlen and English betall.
- to pay; to give money in exchange for goods or services
- (reflexive) to pay; to be profitable
- (colloquial) to pay; to be the subject of revenge
- (to give money in exchange for goods or services): gälda (archaic, formal)
- (to be profitable): löna sig