Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈbəʊtɪŋ/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈboʊtɪŋ/, [ˈboʊ̯ɾɪŋ]
- Homophone: boding
- The activity of going out onto a body of water in a boat.
1853, Charlotte Mary Yonge, The Heir of Redclyffe, volume 1, page 95:
- I like nothing better than to hear of your ridings, and shootings, and boatings.
- 1953, Pennsylvania Angler (volumes 22-23, page 61)
- With the old boatmen holding annual re-unions at Rolling Green Park, tales and exciting moments of boatings and fishing in the old canal are told and re-told among veteran boatmen.
- (historical) In Persia, a punishment of capital offenders, by laying them on the back in a covered boat, where they are left to perish.