Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: bread and butter
- Relating to basic sustenance or the requirements for everyday living.
- 2015, Robert Crane, Christopher Fryer, Crane: Sex, Celebrity, and My Father's Unsolved Murder, page 34:
- These road warrior plays were fronted by former semistars like Forrest Tucker or Hugh O'Brian, who had had their bread-and-butter TV shows cancelled. The job could pay $3,000 to $5,000 a week […]
- Used other than figuratively or idiomatically: see bread, and, butter.
- bread-and-butter pudding
- (archaic) A general saying used to ward off bad luck
- (archaic) A saying specifically used to ward off bad luck when separating hands to walk either side of a tree