breakfast in bed
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Breakfast served to one in bed upon waking, commonly to show appreciation for the receiver.
- In New Zealand and The Netherlands it's tradition that children who are still in primary school serve their mothers breakfast in bed.
- (intransitive) To enjoy one's breakfast while in bed.
- 1876, Charles James Dunphie, The Splendid Advantages of Being a Woman, page 67:
- Not that I "go in" for breakfasting in bed. It is a lazy, ignoble habit. A man ought to divide his life fairly between bed and board.
- breakfast in bed at OneLook Dictionary Search