Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: appréciation
- A fair valuation or estimate of merit, worth, weight, etc.; recognition of excellence.
We give to you this trophy as a token of our appreciation of all your years of service.
- Accurate perception; true estimation
an appreciation of the difficulties before us
an appreciation of colors
- 2014, Ian Jack, "Is this the end of Britishness", The Guardian, 16 September 2014:
- The English, until relatively recently, seem to have imagined “English” and “British” to be interchangeable, as if Britain was just a bigger England. Our dualism gave us a better appreciation of the nation-state we lived in, though if Britain was a “nation” as well as a “state”, where did that leave Scotland?
- His foreboding showed his appreciation of Henry's character. —J. R. Green.
- A rise in value
- (rise in value): depreciation
A just valuation or estimate of merit, worth, weight, etc.; recognition of excellence
Accurate perception; true estimation; as, an appreciation of the difficulties before us; an appreciation of colors
A rise in value;—opposed to depreciation
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.