campion (plural campions)
- Some flowering plants of the genus Lychnis.
- Any flowering plant of the genus Silene.
- 1918, Gerard Manley Hopkins, “[Poem 63]”, in Robert Bridges, editor, Poems of Gerard Manley Hopkins: Now First Published […], London: Humphrey Milford, OCLC 5093462, stanza 4, page 83:
- Then over his turnèd temples—here— / Was a rose, or, failing that, / Rough-Robin or five-lipped campion clear / For a beauty-bow to his hat, […]
- “campion” in The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th edition, Boston, Mass.: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2016, →ISBN.
Borrowed from Italian campione, from Medieval Latin or Late Latin campio, campionem, from Frankish *kampijō (or a Lombardic equivalent) from Proto-Germanic *kampijô, based on Latin campus (“level ground”); cf. also French champion.