Jump to navigation Jump to search
- An ornament to be placed in the centre, as of a table, ceiling, etc.
- A central article or figure.
- 1960 December, Voyageur, “The Mountain Railways of the Bernese Oberland”, in Trains Illustrated, page 752:
- Below is the deep abyss of the Lauterbrunnen valley, and at its head a stately semi-circle of mountains, with the pyramidal Lauterbrunnen Breithorn as the centre-piece.
- 2020 May 20, Philip Haigh, “Ribblehead: at the heart of the S&C's survival and its revival”, in Rail, page 26:
- Bridge SAC66 has its place in railway history as the centrepiece of the battle to save the Settle-Carlisle Line from closure in the 1980s.
For SAC66 is better known as Batty Moss (or Ribblehead) Viaduct - the magnificent, Grade 2-listed, 24-arch structure that strides over the pockmarked ground between Ribblehead station and Blea Moor signal box.
ornament to be placed in the centre