Jump to navigation Jump to search
- char-à-banc (obsolete)
charabanc (plural charabancs)
- (Britain, historical) A horse-drawn, and then later, motorized omnibus with open sides, and often, no roof.
- Synonym: chara (short form)
- 1968, “Happiness Stan”, in Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake, performed by Small Faces:
- And full of colored dreams / Deep inside a rainbow / Lived Happiness Stan / In a small Victorian charabanc
- 2006 Aug 7 & 14, John Updike, “Late Works”, in The New Yorker, page 70:
- The cumbersome though finely painted charabanc of the late James style is pulled swaying along by a frisky pony of a plot farcical and romantic.
a horse-drawn, and then later, motorized omnibus with open sides, and often, no roof