Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈt͡ʃɪɹfəlnəs/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈt͡ʃɪəfəlnəs/
- Hyphenation: cheer‧ful‧ness
- The state of being cheerful; joy.
- 1891, Thomas Hardy, Tess of the d'Urbervilles, volume 1, London: James R. Osgood, McIlvaine and Co., page 16:
- The banded ones were all dressed in white gowns - a gay survival from Old Style days, when cheerfulness and May-time were synonyms - days before the habit of taking long views had reduced emotions to a monotonous average.
the state of being cheerful; joy