Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster’s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.
(See the entry for commentary in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913.)
commentary (plural commentaries)
- A series of comments or annotations; especially, a book of explanations or expositions on the whole or a part of some other work.
- This letter . . . was published by him with a severe commentary. -Henry Hallam.
- (usually in the plural) A brief account of transactions or events written hastily, as if for a memorandum
- Caesar's Commentaries on the Gallic War
- An oral description of an event, especially broadcast by television or radio, as it occurs.
- (series of comments or annotations; especially, a book of explanations or expositions): secondary source