Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
contrariety (plural contrarieties)
- Opposition or contrariness; cross-purposes, marked contrast.
- What differences of sense and reason, what contrarietie of imaginations doth the diversitie of our passions present unto us?
- 1759, Laurence Sterne, The Life & Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman, Penguin 2003, p.61:
- This contrariety of humours betwixt my father and my uncle, was the source of many a fraternal squabble.
- 2011, Tim Blanning, "The reinvention of the night", Times Literary Supplement, 21 Sep.:
- At the heart of his argument is the contrariety between day and night, light and dark.