cottonocracy (plural not attested)
- (US, historical) A government dominated by the cotton industry, as in the United States prior to the Civil War.
- 1840, Robert Owen, The New Moral World, volume 7, page 1027:
- The whole school argue political or national economy as a party question: it is Cottonocracy versus Cornocracy — the nation is to be crucified between them.
- 1855, Thomas Chandler Haliburton, Nature and human nature, page 23:
- 1996, Bill Schwarz, The Expansion of England: Race, Ethnicity and Cultural History:
- The Lancashire cottonocracy was still waiting for El Dorado, and was quite prepared to believe that the opium trade was delaying its arrival.