Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- plural of .
- (US, slang, humorous) Absolute silence; no communication. Derived from the cinematic metaphor of chirping crickets at night, signaling (otherwise) complete quiet. May be used alone or in metaphorically descriptive phrases.
- Since then, I've received no response. Not a word. Just... crickets.
- We asked for an explanation, but all we heard was the sound of crickets.
2015 September 14, Monica Davey, “Panel studying racial divide in Missouri presents a blunt picture of inequity [print version: Report blunt on race inequity, International New York Times, 15 September 2015, p. 7]”, The New York Times:
- Maria Chapelle-Nadal, a Democratic state senator, said she feared that the commission's findings would be announced with great fanfare, "but then we're just going to hear crickets, crickets, crickets."
- indefinite genitive singular of cricket